Friday 1 March 2013

Who would be the audience for your media product? (4/7)


Who would be the audience for your media product?
The target audience for my media product would be teenagers and young adults, of both genders, aged 15-25 of the social classes BC1 and C2. My magazine would be read by readers who are interested in urban music, artists and culture. This is different to most music magazines as they usually appeal more to males than females as there is a smaller range of magazines for men, whereas lifestyle and fashion magazines (that are extremely popular in the magazine industry) are available to women.
 I have chosen to target my magazine to the social class BC1 and C2, as I believe they are the ones who will be willing to spend money on a magazine, and they would not consider £3.99 to be very expensive. They would also be the ones who would have the time to engage in urban music and be interested in the latest news about this genre. Higher social classes would probably not see the music magazine to be a necessity and may not have the time to read the magazines due to their busy careers and social lives. Also, lower social classes would probably consider buying a magazine as a waste of money as their focus would be on paying the bills, therefore buying a magazine would be a rare luxury and they would not be frequent readers.

My typical reader would shop at clothing stores such as River Island and Bank and would buy music online, through applications such as iTunes, rather than buying CDs. Therefore, I will ensure that my magazine is on popular Social Networking sites such as Twitter and Facebook, as well as a website and Smartphone application in order to ensure that my target audience can engage in my magazine, no matter where they are, or what they are doing. For example, on the website for my magazine, readers will be able to get the latest information about the newest issue of my magazine. They will also be able to read the main articles that appear in the magazine and there will be fun quizzes and games for the readers to engage in, when visiting the website. On the Twitter account there will be small clues about the main articles that would be leaked, up until the newest issue is released. There will also be 'backstage' information and photographs about things such as the photo shoots that happen for the magazine. This will not only make my magazine seem current and up-to-date with the latest online trends, but it will also allow me to see the Urban artists 'tweets' about their careers and lives that I could use in the upcoming articles.
The readers would be slightly edgy and risky, just like the artists that are written about. This will allow them to identify with the artists in the articles, which will hopefully encourage them to become frequent readers. Also, their care-free attitudes would mean that they will not be offended by ‘taboo’ words or the artists’ questionable opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment