Friday 1 March 2013

How did you attract/address your audience? (5/7)


How did you attract/address your audience?
The target audience of my magazine is both male and female teenagers and young adults aged 15-25 of the social classes BC1 and C2, who are interested in urban music.
The genre of music that my magazine is based on is known to be slightly edgy and possibly controversial, therefore in order to appeal to my target audience, the articles in my magazines will not all be positive (like in a pop magazine) but will deal with more in-depth controversial stories and topics in the urban industry.
I have also tried to attract my audience through the aesthetic look of my magazine. On the front cover I have used a close –up of my model, Jade who is wearing ‘Beats by Dr. Dre’ headphones. This is a brand that will appeal to my target audience; therefore they will be able to identify with my magazine, according to the uses and gratifications theory. Furthermore, I have mentioned that there is a Smartphone app available, as well as a website, Facebook page and Twitter account. This will encourage audiences to stay tuned into my magazine as my target audience would be very involved in the ‘digital revolution’ and would want to be able to get information from my magazine wherever they are. These social networking accounts will also help my audience to build personal relationships with other readers of my magazine as they will have their love for the urban genre in common. In addition, with stores like HMV closing down, it is obvious that digital programs are  becoming increasingly popular that traditional methods of listening to music or reading, therefore I want to make sure that my magazine can be reached digitally as well as physically in order to appeal to a wider audience.
Moreover, most of the images have been taken with the graffiti in the background which is very representative of urban music and the urban genre as a whole which would allow audiences to identify with the genre of the magazine straight away.
The tone of my magazine is not very critical or harsh, but relaxed which is an imitation of urban music. However, much like urban music, the article is also very honest and informative, which my target audience would appreciate.
The sell lines in my magazine are very catchy and honest, rather than sugar-coated like in a pop magazine or harsh and slightly intimidating like in a rock magazine. These sell lines will encourage audiences to buy my magazine as they will feel like they are getting exclusive information about my magazine. Furthermore, the article in my magazine has extra sections such as Jade’s review on other artists, as well as a review of her album and live performances. As well as making the readers feel like they are getting extra, exclusive information, it will entertain them as it is the artist’s candid, personal opinion that they may not be able to find in any other magazine. This personal response allows readers to not only enjoy reading the magazine, but to also feel as though they have a relationship with the artist as they are getting ‘insider’ information on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment